I'm Ben Powell, a graphic, user interface and web designer based in the steel city of Sheffield. During the day I work for 3Squared, designing on a range of projects from branding to iPhone and mobile application development, while at night (super-hero style) I follow my passion as a freelance UI designer.
When I design, I like to make my work very client focused. I like to thoroughly question everything that I do, and ultimately, this means the result is not just a beautiful piece of design work, but something that voices a brand identity or creates a headache-free interface that flows. Most importantly, it hits the main points of the spec.
My aim is and always has been to create brilliant designs that are easy to understand or use and I'm always striving to better myself. This is my passion and I love what I do.
- Graduated with a Masters in Design (MDes) degree from Sheffield Hallam in 2011.
- Secured a placement with a Sheffield based software and digital agency called 3Squared, and was subsequently offered a job.
- I have had my work published in Computer Arts, a worldwide digital design magazine, and have also been interviewed for a book called 'Digital Creatives' Survival Guide' which is due out in the US this Summer.
- During my time at university I was involved in some personal projects including working for a local tshirt brand, winning a photography competition and designing a shop window display.
During a short space of time as a professional designer, I have had the pleasure to work various small and large companies through my freelance work and with 3Squared. This includes:
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
- DeVere Village Hotels
"Ben is a hardworking individual who literally had the ability to read our minds when it came to what we wanted for our website and app design. Fantastic work ethic and great end product, we will without doubt work with him again" - Tom Billmore, freelance client.
If we work together, here's what to expect from me:
- Strong worth ethic - I have a strong passion for what I do and this shines through in my work.
- No 'designer pretense' - I'm not here to baffle you with designer terms or to show off, I'm here to get you a result that your customers love and that you can be proud of.
- Straight talking - I believe in honesty and sharing my professional opinion with clients, something which is so important if we are to create the best possible designs.
- Unique approach - I am very focused in what I do, and you can expect a fresh and different design perspective.